In his play No Exit Sartre writes, “Hell is other people.” However to me, the idea of hell is embodied by solitude. An abject feeling of complete and utter isolation. This can take on two forms – being alone in the literal sense, or the feeling of alienation that can occur in a room full of people.
Imagery that comes to mind in this personified hell would be a post-apocalyptic landscape of sorts – barren and desolate. Another could be the use of a forest, being disoriented and unable to find a path out. I also think that a long, winding road with no clear origin or destination lends a sense of loneliness to it.
One composition I had in mind would involve a figure in a barren landscape surrounded by a group of people that are experiencing a more positive environment than the central figure, as if they are in a different world. Techniques that I could use to invoke these feelings would be diffuse light, muted color palettes, and cooler tones.
-----
Conversely, the essence of my own heaven would involve a sense of freedom, a feeling of independence, and the self-determination to go anywhere and do anything.
The kinds of images that I envision would involve large expanses of water and boats, as they invoke the feelings of freedom to me. The images would also incorporate a strong light source, warm colors, and a vibrant color palette.
*Footnote: these are just some of my initial thoughts. I have to work all day tomorrow (Saturday), so I wanted to make sure I was able to post some of my ideas.
Friday, September 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment